14 February 2009

NM African American Graveyard Blog

Recently, I discovered that George Geder, one of my friends on Facebook, has a couple of genealogy blogs.

Santa Fe's African American Graveyard Rabbit is a blog that honors African Americans interred in Santa Fe, NM. It includes photos and descriptions of gravestones as well as obituaries. Click on this link to discover his site.

George Geder also has a blog about his genealogy photo restoration business. Click on this link to find out more about his business.

As George mentions in his Graveyard Rabbit blog, African Americans have been here in New Mexico since the begining. Estevan the Moor was one of the leaders of the first Spanish exploration of New Mexico. Many early "Spanish" settlers were actually African or Mulato. Buffalo soldiers served with distinction in New Mexico during the 19th Century. And the list goes on. Unfortunately, as George notes, persons of African ancestry have been either "under-represented or ignored."

If any of my readers know of other New Mexican African-American websites that should be profiled here, please send me an Email at abqbobcat@nmia.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the 'link love' and thanks for reminding about your blog. I thought that I clicked to 'follow' awhile ago. That's remedied!

I need to see about joining the NMGS. (Break out the penny jar, in this economy, lol).

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Robert Baca said...

Well I'm glad that I found your site. I'm trying to find as much NM genealogy that is out there and let the people know. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you as a member.