The New Mexico Genealogical Society Blog is no longer being updated. Please visit the NMGS website at www.nmgs.org for current information about our organization.
12 January 2012
NMGS Sponsors 2012 National Hitory Day in NM
NMGS Sponsors 2012 National History Day in New Mexico
National History Day is a year-long educational program that engages students in grades 6 through 12 in the process of discovery and interpretation of historical topics. Students produce dramatic performances, imaginative exhibits, multimedia documentaries, research papers, and web sites based on research related to an annual theme. These projects are then evaluated at local, state, and national competitions.
New Mexico History Day is part of National History Day and is sponsored by the New Mexico Endowment for the Humanities and the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs. Public, private, and home schools are welcome to participate. The competition in New Mexico begins at a local or district level and progresses to state and national competitions. New Mexico state finals will be held Friday, April 27, 2012 at the National Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque.
As a commitment to education in New Mexico, community involvement, and the pursuit of developing a love of history in future generations, The New Mexico Genealogical Society and its generous donors currently award five $100 prizes in the following categories:
• Best Senior Individual Exhibit displaying the best documented use of primary source material in a genealogical, family history or community history topic
• Best Junior Individual Exhibit displaying the best documented use of primary source material in a genealogical, family history or community history topic
• Best documented use of primary sources, including oral history sources, in Native American History - Nell D. Munyon Award
• Best documented use of primary sources in Medical History - Thomas Henry Munyon Award
• Best documented use of primary sources, including oral history sources, in Spanish New Mexican History - Patricia Black Esterly Award
The theme for 2012 is Revolution, Reaction, Reform in History.
There are a number of reasons to become a member of the New Mexico Genealogical Society:
- FREE shipping on orders for books by NMGS Press.
- You will receive the information-packed New Mexico Genealogist in your mailbox each quarter, with an index each December.
- You'll meet others who understand your interest (obsession?) in genealogy.
Follow this link to print up a membership form.
The New Mexico Genealogical Society has many books for sale. Click on this link to purchase our books.
The New Mexico Genealogical Society and the Albuquerque Genealogical Society have teamed up to help out a local genealogy library.
The organizations donate all profits from Amazon to the Special Collections branch of the Albuquerque Public Library. Just by placing your Amazon.com orders through a link on this web site, you are helping to purchase books and supplies for the library. (That applies to Amazon orders only.)
Click on this link to purchase a book through Amazon.com.
Do you have news, announcements, or website links about which we should know? If you have something of interest to the New Mexico genealogical community, let us know. Send me an e-mail with all the details. - Robert Baca
Current Posts from Genealogical Societies Throughout the World
This web log (blog) includes website links and announcements from other individuals and organizations. These notices are for informational purposes only, and are not endorsements by the New Mexico Genealogical Society. The New Mexico Genealogical Society is not responsible for the content of these websites, or the the practices of these individuals and organizations.